The Odyssey: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)

Well its been a long journey so far. Starting this book was a little rough do to the fact that i've been consumed by YA books. Reading it for school is really different from "just because" reading. I admit I didn't want to do it at first but I sucked it uo and I really am enjoying this book. Odyssey is one strange character. WHen he constantly tells people about his journey I feel as if we are supposed to feel some sort of "pity" for him. We are supposed feel sad for the constant hardships he faces. I admit what he did in the Trojan War was pretty clever. The Trojan horse was pretty cool but I feel as if that was his biggest accomplishment. I mean his survival throughout the lands that he was captured in is an accomplishment too but at some point he wanted to stay. Why did he stay on the island with the nymph for so long? He stayed with his crew for a year and I believe his crew remined him of his journey back home to Ithaca. When I started this book I didn't know why Poseidon hated him so much. In book 9, I found out the reason. I think its pretty funny actually. I wouldn't think that Poseidon would claim to be the father of a cyclops. Not sure why but I sort of got that vibe that the cyclops was some sort of embarrassment to him. When Polyphemus prayed to his father for vengenance for Odysseus blinding him that to me was the coolest part of the book so far. I highly doubt that Poseidon ever cared about polyphemus before his encounter with Odysseus. The role of the women is also pretty interesting. Once again they are "second" when it comes to the men. I feel as if they are only good for marriage, lovers, and wives. They can't really participate in the "social life". I mean its really messed up how the suitors in the palace are trying to court Penelope and when Telemachus finally stands up to them they tell him to send her back if she can't pick a husband. Can't the woman miss her husband Odysseus? Is she not allowed to WAIT for his return? Telemachus has the power to send his mother back to her father. I always thought that the mother has more authority than the child no? Oh it was pretty messed up how Clytemnestra murdered her husband Agamemnon just because her new husband wanted him dead. Not only do women have no say in their life but they have to follow what the men do....