Work the Pond!: Use the Power of Positive Networking to Leap Forward in Work and Life - Darcy Rezac;Judy Thomson;Gayle Hallgren-Rezac Life of Pi - Yann Martel Dracula - Bram Stoker

Welcome to yet another edition of Friday Reads.

Let's get right into it, shall we?

I have just about finished Work the Pond by Darcy Rezac-- an easy-to-read self help book on positive networking. It is jam packed with information so I think I will have to take some notes on it this weekend and then send it on its way back to the library. I really liked it though, I thought there were some holes for how to apply it for recent graduates. I doubt I will be doing a review on it for the blog because I have no idea of how I should review a self-help book. Should I rate how easy it was to understand? Its usefulness? How do you determine a book's usefulness if you are still in the throes of unemployment? Hmmm, tough questions.

This week I am starting Life of Pi by Yann Martel, which my library stocked up as a Fast Read. In my last #FridayReads I had already mentioned how traumatizing it can be to squeeze in a book within a week's time--especially, if you are busy for most of the day. I originally wanted to read Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick because Bradley Cooper is hot the reviews were good; however, it was checked out. Poo :( On the plus side I can expand my repertoire of Canadian lit? Because I have no idea on any good Canadian literature.

So I shall immerse myself in the world of Pi, his boat, and try to answer a question that is currently eluding me-- did the whole incident on the boat actually happen or is it a metaphor for something else? I will be reviewing this book since it shouldn't be as difficult to dole out my opinion as it is with self-help books.

Finally, I am plowing through the beginning of Dracula by Bram Stoker. Considering the fact that there have been so many more vampire stories since Dracula, I thought that I wouldn't easily get scared. Kind of like when you watch The Birds in the 2000s versus when it was originally published. The technology for sound effects have gotten so much better therefore, the birds and their cries (or rather the cries of their victims) look and sound incredibly fake. Not the case for Dracula. The fact that the Count scales walls like some mis-chromosome-d (yes I am making that a word), lizard man freaked the heck out of me. Still gives me the shivers.

Dracula climbing the wall

Creepy right? Anyways, hope you enjoy your weekend, my invisible readers.

xox, S.